Monday, April 5, 2021
Housing prices in Rhode Island and across the country continue to climb. But another factor is making home ownership even more difficult – increasingly high credit scores for mortgage approval.
Rhode Island homebuyers face an increasing number of challenges – skyrocketing prices, lack of supply, and rising credit scores for mortgages.
The median price of a single-family home in February in RI was $ 320,000, a 16.4% increase from 12 months earlier.
It’s now year after year double-digit price increases.
But this price explosion is different from those of the past.
According to the Wall Street Journal, “Home prices are rising at the fastest rate in 15 years, propelled by a record supply of homes for sale and an influx of well-to-do workers looking for second homes or office space in the city. home. The median price of an existing home surpassed $ 300,000 last summer and has stayed there ever since. “
Homeownership rate much lower than 2004
The homeownership rate continues to rebound from a current low of 63.7% in 2016, but is considerably lower today than it was in 2004, when it hit the peak of 69.2%.
In 2020, homeownership was 65.9%.
Credit standards are getting tougher
“Because mortgage credit is more difficult to obtain, it is an overall more competitive environment,” said Dr. Lawrence Yun, chief economist at the National Association of Realtors. the Wall Street newspaper.
About 70% of mortgages issued in 2020 went to borrowers with a credit score of at least 760, up from 61% in 2019, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
The median credit score of borrowers approved for mortgages reached 786 in the fourth quarter of 2020, up from 770 during the same period in 2019.
Low income borrowers are also negatively affected. “Stricter credit requirements have emerged more clearly at each end of the mortgage market. The average credit score of borrowers approved for Federal Housing Administration loans rose to 672 in fiscal 2020, from 666 in 2019 . FHA loans generally have lower income and less down payments, ”WSJ reports.
- May record for housing market, according to RI Realtors
- Median home price in RI climbs 13.1% to $ 261,000, realtors say
- RI Home Median Selling Price Now $ 265,000, Up 8.2%, Says Realtors
- 6 RI charities received grants from the RI Realtors Foundation
- Home sales increase in January, prices decline slightly, say RI real estate agents
- East Side Realtors sound alarm on Spike in Crime
- NEW: Rhode Island housing market takes off – RI Assoc. real estate agents
- RI Realtors Reports Significant Q3 Spike
- NEW: RI’s real estate agents report soaring house prices in April and falling sales
- Rhode Island real estate agents punished in their budgets
- Record number of single-family home sales sold in 2017 to RI, real estate agents say
- Single-family home sales increase 10% in July, reports RI Realtors
- RI real estate agents say house prices rose in October
- RI real estate agents say house prices rose in November
- Home sales decline 5.1% in June, report RI real estate agents
- Former Head of Realtors Providence Joins Residential Properties
- RI single-family home inventory up 10% in March, real estate agents say
- RI real estate agents say house prices rose in April
- RI real estate agents say new sales price record was set in May
- Home ordering significantly slowed sales of RI homes in May, but prices hit record highs, RI realtors say
- 5 Ways To Get More Success Buying A Home In This Hot Market – Marion of Mott & Chace
- Mott & Chace’s Taylor Explains How To Compete In A Hot Real Estate Market
- “Dramatic change in the RI condo market” – Scungio LIVE by Mott & Chace
- South County Luxury Real Estate Boom: Soby LIVE by Mott & Chace
- Latest real estate technology to help buyers and sellers: Pardo de Zela LIVE from Mott & Chace
- Millennials are a growing factor in booming housing market, says Mott & Chace’s Rutley
- What to ask your real estate agent: Marion of Mott & Chace LIVE
Do you like this post? Share it with others.